Monday, October 21, 2013

The Axioms of Web Design


I chose this website not because I'm in the market for a Jeep, (I'm not), but because I like how the landing page grabs your attention by showing the Jeep lineup, and how you can get more information on any model simply by hovering and clicking. The color scheme and setting is great--the shiny red vehicles in the foreground, with the rays of the sun shining through the green trees is almost breath taking.

Business objective: It's pretty straight forward--obviously, they want to sell 4x4's.

Strong grid: The grid concept doesn't really kick in until you go to the individual product pages. I would say the gird is rather loud, but it does work. You can scroll down and see features, and you can build your ideal vehicle as you go. I do like this scroll feature.

Lower right: Click on the lower right and it takes you to another product page and gives you offers of savings on the various models. It's definitely a call to action, though it is fairly low keyed.

Direction of sight: To be totally accurate, there are two different landing pages that alternate automatically. The first shows their latest award-winning model parked in a way that forms a diagonal, and gives the appearance that it's on a cobblestone road and has just rounded a bend. This gives the feeling of action. The second page is the scene with the cars in a semi circle in the forest. The gentle arc of the cars allows us to see the sides of each model, which also creates diagonals in the shot. It is pleasing to the eye.

Affordance/intuitiveness: This site is intuitive and easy to navigate. By simply hovering and clicking, then scrolling, you can get all the information you want (okay--you'll get a lot more information than you want unless you are a serious shopper).

Contrast: Since everyone knows Jeeps are made for the wild outdoors, the designers put this to good use by situating the glossy, shining Jeeps in the rugged outdoors. I could write three or four hundred words about the contrast alone, but maybe that's best left for another time. Suffice it to say the designers used contrast to their advantage.

Aesthetically pleasing = easy site: I find this site to be aesthetically pleasing, and I also find it be easy to navigate. I guess that's another win for the designers.

Aspect ratio: Having made that last statement, now I'll have to say that when I looked the site up on my smart phone, I found a site that wasn't easy to use. The landing page was quite minimal, and when I tried to get to the other pages, it wanted me to enter my zip code, (I had my location services turned off at the time), so it could give me information on the latest, local deals. This totally turned me away. When I'm searching for general information on cars, the last thing I want is to feel the "hard sell" coming on, especially this soon. And that's what this felt like to me. Also, it wasn't as intuitive, the use of contrast wasn't there, and honestly, most things about it didn't work. I think this small screen presentation needs a lot of work.


No comments:

Post a Comment